This week’s assignment for my MOOC, “How to Teach Us” is to create a ‘dream day’, consisting of a schedule or narrative that explains how I would like to plan my day. Part of it will vary due to the school-wide schedule, but I’ve based it on my ideal. Please give feedback in the comment section.
Student Day Length: 5 1/2 hours
- 9am– School buses begin to arrive
- I open classroom for students who need tutoring and prepare my room for the lessons ahead.
- 9:30– School day begins
- Students arrive for their first period.
- 10:25– Passing period
- 10:30– Second period
- This subject is the same as the first. (I may try different methods of teaching this lesson to see which works best.)
- 11:25– Lunch period
- My class is open while I eat for students who want tutoring. I use this time as a prep period.
- 12pm– Third period
- Students arrive for a new subject.
- 12:55– Passing period
- 1pm– Fourth period
- This subject is the same as the previous. (I may try different methods of teaching this lesson to see which works best.)
- 1:55– Passing period
- 2pm– Fifth period
- Students arrive for an honor’s class.
- 2:55– School day ends
- I open classroom for students who need tutoring. I use this time as a prep period to collect paperwork and tools for the next day.
- 3:30– I go home
- 0 min.– Bell rings. Students may collect supplies and ask questions before sitting down.
- 2 min.– Students should be sitting and working on the entry task.
- 5 min.– Go over entry task as a class.
- 10 min.– Merge from entry work into related lesson.
- 17 min.– Brain break. (This is a 30-second opportunity for students to move their bodies, which increases blood-flow and glucose to the brain.)
- 30 min.– Brain break. Transition to next section.
- Work time. Students may use this to work on their daily assignment, unit homework, or other class work.
- 53 min.– Students are allowed to begin packing and preparing to change classes. (This gives them time to mentally prepare for the change– something important for those with agoraphobia or sensory disorders– and some extra time to walk so they can use the facilities between classes.)
- 55 min.– Bell rings. Class is dismissed.